SPROUT Garden—behind the house located at
1471 Minnehaha Ave W, St. Paul
Cost: $60 for the 6-class series
See Gardening Matters website for more info and registration: http://www.gardeningmatters.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=15
Taking Root is a beginning gardener class series for new gardeners interested in growing their own food. This hands-on 6 class series takes place in the garden, and brings you through an entire growing season in Minnesota, with a class held approximately once a month between May and October.
Offered at the SPROUT community garden in the Hamline-Midway neighborhood on Minnehaha Ave in St. Paul, Hamline-Midway, Frogtown and other neighborhood residents are welcome and encourage to attend!
Taught by experienced growers and neighborhood residents Nathan Schrecengost of Pig’s Eye Urban Farm and Courtney Tchida of Cornercopia Student Organic Farm.
- Session 1: Sunday May 15th 3:00 -4:30pm Garden Planning, Bed Preparation and Early Planting
- Session 2: Saturday June 11th 3:00 -4:30pm, Planting, Mulching and Garden Maintenance
- Session 3: Saturday July 16th 3:00-4:30pm, Planting for fall harvest, crop rotation, and harvest techniques
- Session 4: Saturday August 6th 3:00-4:30 pm, Harvesting, Growing problem solving Q &A
- Session 5: Saturday September 10th 3:00-4:30pm, Food Preservation & Putting a garden to bed
- Session 6: Saturday October 8th 3:00-4:30pm, Orchard Fruits, Bees and Vermicomposting